Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Painting vinyl shutters a different color

My vinyl shutters were looking weathered.  First thing I did when I made the decision to paint my vinyl shutters instead of purchasing new ones was to Google info on how to do this.  I was hit with a barrage of info, most repeated the same advise, don't change the color of your shutters and to use an acrylic or urethane blends.  I decided to it anyway and document my results.

I wrote this post to document what steps I took.  I plan on updating this post sometime next year with the long term results of my ill advised decision.

First a bit about the environmental variables involved.

The shutters of my house get morning sun.  My house is in the Northeastern part of the US and has four seasons.  I painted my shutters in my garage and in 60 degree weather.

I am going from a colonial light blue
to a darker green color.


Materials needed:
-Pry-bar 
-Ladder
-Step ladder
-Sharpie
-Cleaning powder (Dirtex)
-Primer
-Exterior Paint
-Pain Brushes
-Caulk
-220 grit Sandpaper
-New Shutter-Loks (hardware fasteners)
-Elevated surface to paint on
-Place to store shutters to dry for 48 to 72 hrs before re-installing

Getting started:
I have a two story house and am not a fan of heights so removing the shutters is more sane than being on a ladder for hours.  I also wanted to take the shutters off the house because it was easier to paint and not worry about getting paint on the house.

I used a pry-bar to carefully go behind the shutters and pry them away from the house.  They weren't screwed in (they were attached using Shutter-Loks hardware fasteners.  Once these are removed the one way fins are no long viable to reattach to the house.  You can see they are all chewed up.  But don't throw them out just yet.  Later in the blog I describe another purpose for them.


NOTE: There could be hives behind those shutters, bees, hornets, etc.  I found lots of inactive hives.  Spraying down the shutters before you remove them might be a good idea as to not get stung on the ladder.

I took the sharpie with me and after each shutter was pried off I marked them with a number and letter.  1L, 2R, 3R, 1TopL, 1TopR etc.  This info tells me two things, one what way is up and two where the shutter came from.  Why does that matter you ask, it's important to place them back in the original position.  Shutters bend and warp but more importantly you ensure the fastener holes will line back up with the original holes.

After removing the shutters I sprayed each one down with the hose to get the larger dirt particles off the front and back.  Once inside I used a cleaner (Dirtex) with hot water to remove any dirt that the hose didn't get off (which was a lot).

The next day I sanded the shutters with 220 grit sandpaper and then wiped any dust off.

To get the old fasteners out I placed each shutter on my portable workbench and hit it with a hammer, but made sure both sides were supported as to not crack the shutter.

I used the old fastener hardware to elevate the shutters off the ground, by placing them in upside down.  This helped reduce the amount of paint being transferred to my garage floor and also didn't cause the paint to wick up any dirt on the garage floor.

When I was discussing best practices with the Lowes associate, I was told that Valspar bonding primer would stick to the vinyl without a problem and then I could pick any exterior paint to apply on top.  I had a slight grey color mixed into the primer but in hindsight I would now recommend getting a dark primer mix as it bleeds through the new color, even after two coats.

I let the shutters dry for an entire day before applying the new color.  Once coat at a time over two days.  Even after two days there were still spots that the primer was slightly showing through, but not enough to warrant another coat.
I went with a Valspar Duramax Satin finish.  I wanted the shutters to pop a little when the sun hit them.
The hardware fasteners were purchased from


Since it's November and the weather is colder, the paint was still sticky to the touch three days after the second coat.  I will be installing them over the weekend and am anxious to see how they endure the winter.

Make sure if you are ordering new fasteners they are the same size as the original ones, otherwise you might get stuck cutting the new ones or even drilling new deeper holes.



Lastly place a small amount of caulk in the holes where the fasteners will be places, prior to putting the shutters in place.  This will help insulate and weatherproof these holes.



NOTE: If I wanted to, it seems the paint would peal off in one large sheet if I tried.  The primer acts as more of a skin.  So be careful moving the painted shutters around on the floor, as they will scrape off the paint.

They look great if I do say so.

32 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Just checking to see if the paint held up. I have a similar issue of wanting to paint burgundy shutters black (which i have been told NOT to do). Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I want to do the same thing you did, change from weathered Burgandy to Black. Did you get to do it and did they hold up through the year?
      Thanks

      Delete
  2. I want to take tan shutters and make them burgundy, how did the shutters hold up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, they made it through the winter and the start of summer with 95+ degree days, no bubbling, peeling, or fading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Thanks so much for the blog on this topic - I have 39 pair of shutters that I want to do this with. It is almost CHristmas 2011 how have they held up until now?

    Thank you,

    Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. you turned out it so beautiful....I really like all the colours...and the way it looks.
    window shutters clayton, ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to give an update. The shutters are still holding their color and have yet to peel, crack or chip. As a side note, I have not needed to power wash them and I can't vouch for what that might do to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting vinyl shutters ahs been described in the post here. The article has shared relevant information about it. Useful information
    Curtain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Choose a light shade from neutral colors for the walls, not a dark and gloomy one. Paint other details like railing and shutters in contrast to the wall's color like dark brown or maroon.

    interior painting santa cruz

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just great. I can save a lot from doing it.

    penny stocks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wondering if you have any helpful hints for removing the shutter locks on the second story shutters. I have completed the removing, painting and replacing of the one on the first floor but I had to use all my might to remove the shutter locks that I am afraid of falling off the ladder when removing them on the second floor. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Estate Millwork crafts elegant Wood shutters, Cedar shutters, Mahogany shutters, Custom Shutters, Exterior wood shutters, Outdoor wood shutters and Custom wood shutters. Stunning quality made to order with state of the art technology and 18th century craftsmanship. Our easy to use website will allow you to quickly design, price and order premium quality custom millwork in a variety of hardwoods for prompt delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, do you think I can be able to paint mine from green (like your old ones) to black? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this nice and relevant information as we also working with plantation shutters london.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steve, how are the shutters holding up nearly 6 years later

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steve, how are the shutters holding up nearly 6 years later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to touch any of them up. They haven't faded (at least not that I can tell). Also no bubbles or paint peeling as of yet.

      Delete
  16. Looking forward to seeing what you did with the shutters. The only reason I rolled my eyes was because shutters are hard to paint. You did a great job on them..I did have some white blinds discolor slightly from leaving in the sun so best dry them in the shade.
    shade houston

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post and pictures Betsy! I really love this, I think I'm going to get some for my house. Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Interior Wood Shutters

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article narrates about the blinds and explains how it can make your look refreshing and relaxing. Furthermore, it also recommends readers to get it installed from Oldham wood Blinds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    Spray Gun

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing such valuable information and knowledge. It is very useful and informative. It would be great to see more updates from you soon.

    Airless Spray

    ReplyDelete
  21. great post, but If you want to save money while Accordion Hurricane Shutters Installation visit ahscarolinas.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the informative and helpful post, obviously in your blog everything is good.. security blinds melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Always so interesting to visit your site.What a great info, thank you for sharing. this will help me so much in my learning site here

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome post. I’m a normal visitor of your web site and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the nice site. I’ll be a frequent visitor for a long time. Toronto in-class Driving Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blinds make your home more attractive and beautiful then actually it is. It also protect your home and give a pleasent look. So if you are looking to took a change in your home then come to Blinds Melbourne. We have a wide range of blinds and curtains that can add beauty to your home and make it attractive and secure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The service is good. I ordered my first blinds online and they arrived on time.I would like to recommend the company to all my friends and known ones. Moreover, the product is good. They never compromise with the quality; the Custom Made Blinds are not at all pricy rather they are cost effective. I find it looks fabulous and is well designed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do make a call on to victorian blinds and get your hands on their Victorian Blinds Melbourne. You will find their best services at the most affordable price. They are not costly. Their wide range of shutters is intended for your different requirement. You will definitely like the advance designed product. I like them very much. You can share the link with your family, friends and loved ones and educate them about the awesome services.

    ReplyDelete
  28. you turned out the doors so beautiful. I really like all the colours. GReat work. industrial roofing contractors in alabama

    ReplyDelete